Child Support

Family Lawyer Scarborough

Scarborough Child Support Lawyers

When parents separate, whether they are married or cohabitating, child support becomes an issue that needs to be addressed quickly. Normally, a child will live with one parent most of the time and live with the other parent less often.

As such, the parent who has the child the majority of the time is considered the custodial parent. The non-custodial parent must help offset the difference in supporting the child financially by paying the custodial parent child support.

Parents are not excused from their parental responsibilities when they separate or get divorced. Both parents are expected to contribute equally to the financial support of their minor children.

Support for children can continue past their 18th birthday if they enroll in university or have a disability that prevents them from becoming independent.

How Is Child Support Calculated?

The Federal and Provincial Governments have established child support guidelines to determine how much the non-custodial parent should pay the custodial parent. The Family Responsibility Office (FRO) collects child support payments and address issues of non-payment. All child support orders issued by the court go directly to the FRO for enforcement. The parties are free to file a notice of withdrawal which means their support payments will no longer be enforced by FRO.

Child access and visitation schedules are taken into account when calculating child support. The type of child custody agreement is also used to determine appropriate support amounts. Additionally, the income of both parents is reviewed.

As you can imagine, the process of calculating child support can some situations can be complex. For instance, if you have a shared custody agreement many people believe that neither parent may be required to pay child support. This is not accurate and the amount of support would depend on the income of each party and other circumstance surrounding the means fo the parties and the needs of the child.

For assistance in filing for child support or requesting changes to an existing child support order, please feel free to contact our family law firm to schedule an appointment with our Scarborough child support lawyer today!


Areas we serve

    • Toronto
    • Brampton
    • Mississauga
    • Vaughan
    • Woodbridge
    • Newmarket
    • Markham
    • Richmond Hill
    • Oshawa
    • Ajax
    • Pickering
    • Whitby
    • Peterborough
    • Clarington
    • Caledon
    • Lindsay
    • Etobicoke
    • Brighton
    • Aurora
    • Cobourg
    • Kawartha Lakes
    • Port Hope
    • Bowmanville
    • Uxbridge
    • Port Perry
    • Baltimore
    • Colborne
    • Fraserville
    • Whitchurch
    • Stouffville

Contact Us