Report changes in marital status to CRA

Angela Princewill

January 21, 2021

Did you know that if you have been separated for more than 90 days because of a breakdown in your relationship you need to inform the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)? Actually, you need to inform CRA whenever there is a change to your marital status such as: 

  • You get married.
  • You enter into a common law relationship.
  • Your spouse or common-law partner dies.
  • You have been separated for over 90 days due to a breakdown in your relationship, not simply because you are physically unable to live with your partner because they are away for work or school for example.  

When you update your status with the CRA, you avoid missing out on benefits you may be entitled to or avoid receiving incorrect payments. 

If you need any help with family law matters, contact AP Lawyers, our family law firm in Scarborough, Pickering, Markham, and Toronto. You can call us at (905) 492-7662 or email us at [email protected] to schedule a consultation.

CRA offers various options for updating them on your marital status. For more information, visit the CRA website on