Independent Legal Advice
It is important to get independent legal advice prior to agreeing to a settlement or signing off on a domestic contract.
At AP Lawyers, we respect the parties’ right to negotiate a “fair” settlement and our goal is to ensure that our clients make informed decisions. In other words, the deal may not be “perfect” but provided it is made with complete awareness of the client’s options, we respect it.
Steps to get Independent Legal Advice at AP Lawyers
- 1. Call or email to schedule your consultation.
- 2. Arrive early with a copy of your Agreement.
- 3. A lawyer will review it and make notes on areas of concern or confusion.
- 4. You meet with the lawyer who discusses your goals and objectives, and any questions you may have and gets clarification on their notes.
- You will receive advice on our legal opinion of the deal reached.
- We would advice if the deal reached achieved your objectives. If it does not, we would make recommendations that would help you in reaching an agreement that achieves your objectives, while also being legally viable.
- If there is an agreement drafted, we would advice you if it reflects what was agreed.
- If there are any errors in drafting, we would recommend changes.
- 5. If the Agreement meets your objectives and the drafting reflects what was agreed to, we will sign off on the Agreement otherwise, we will schedule a follow up signing appointment free of charge.
Areas we serve
- Richmond Hill
- Kawartha Lakes
- Port Hope
- Port Perry