RULE 12: WITHDRAWING, COMBINING OR SPLITTING CASES
WITHDRAWING APPLICATION, ANSWER OR REPLY
12. (1) A party who does not want to continue with all or part of a case may withdraw all or part of the application, answer or reply by serving a notice of withdrawal (Form 12) on every other party and filing it. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 12 (1).
WITHDRAWAL — SPECIAL PARTY’S APPLICATION, ANSWER OR REPLY
(2) A special party’s application, answer or reply may be withdrawn (whether in whole or in part) only with the court’s permission, and the notice of motion for permission shall be served on every other party and on,
(a) the Children’s Lawyer, if the special party is a child;
(b) the Public Guardian and Trustee, if the special party is not a child. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 12 (2).
COSTS PAYABLE ON WITHDRAWAL
(3) A party who withdraws all or part of an application, answer or reply shall pay the costs of every other party in relation to the withdrawn application, answer, reply or part, up to the date of the withdrawal, unless the court orders or the parties agree otherwise. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 12 (3).
COSTS ON WITHDRAWAL BY GOVERNMENT AGENCY
(4) Despite subrule (3), if the party is a government agency, costs are in the court’s discretion. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 12 (4).
COMBINING AND SPLITTING CASES
(5) If it would be more convenient to hear two or more cases, claims or issues together or to split a case into two or more separate cases, claims or issues, the court may, on motion, order accordingly. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 12 (5).
SPLITTING DIVORCE FROM OTHER ISSUES
(6) The court may, on motion, make an order splitting a divorce from the other issues in a case if,
(a) neither spouse will be disadvantaged by the order; and
(b) reasonable arrangements have been made for the support of any children of the marriage. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 12 (6).
If you need any help with family law matters, contact AP Family Lawyers in Scarborough, Pickering, Markham, and Toronto. You can call us at (905) 492-7662 or email us at [email protected] to schedule a consultation.